Friday, June 27, 2008

Fun Day

So one thing (one of the few) that I'm enjoying about my new job is that we have these things called "Fun Days", one of which happened yesterday. Essentially we clear out of the office for the afternoon and get paid to have a great time. This time around we were going to my boss's tennis club/spa, this enormous hotel/resort/spa place in Berkeley.

11:45am rolls around and we leave the office. We start off with lunch....oh wait, no we start with drinks first. I forgo beer and have a 7&7 and then a cranberry vodka. Super yummy tuna tartare and calamari was shared by the table, and I had the spicy grilled chicken sandwich with garlic fries. Uh, yummy. Dessert was this ridiculous loaf of bread budding in bourbon sauce with toasted pecans, bananas, and vanilla ice cream. Diabetic shock? Yes please.

At 2pm we descend upon the spa, where we're all signed up for 50 minute massages. In the women's spa room my co-worker (the one who I'm not sure whether or not she's a lesbian) strips down totally naked before getting in her robe. I'm not even gonna chalk this up to E v W coast. I'm pretty sure in no geographical region is it normal to see one of your VP's ass.

But I digress. I had the Tibetan Sound Massage, which consisted of a full body massage and then the placement of Tibetan bowls placed over my chakras (?) and then played. Yeah, it was as crazy as it sounds. I figured I could have done the standard Deep Tissue/Therapeutic vein, but I wasn't going to pass up having some Eastern European swimmer-type chick play some bowls on my back. It was hilarious and relaxing at the same time.

After the massage we headed to the pool, where we all proceeded to nap for an hour or so. After that we packed up and headed back to the city, and I was back in my home at 5pm.

All in a hard day's work.

2 comments:

House said...

You and Ruddiger, both enjoying crazy perks like this. Nice! Do you work for Coop America? Because Gigabyte used to work for them in DC, and he talked about having something called "Fun Day" every so often.

In fact, he missed the bus to "Fun Day" in the summer of 2006 because it was the day after my epic birthday.

Alicia said...

Julia works in the real world, but I work for Co-op America and am helping to plan fun day! Although I think ours is going to be a bit more like "hippies go to the park and take an office hike while drinking beer" than spa massages...still, all offices should have fun day!


Blogger Layouts by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by ArchitecturesDesign.Com Beautiful Architecture Homes