Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Milestones

This past week, and the next couple of days, hold a lot of personal milestones for me. Well, maybe not a lot. Three, to be specific. Then again, three milestones in 10 days is pretty good, I'd say.

The first milestone is my 1 year anniversary here in San Francisco, which was this past Sunday. Thinking back on that first day, filled with frantic dashes to look at housing, an A's game, and collapsing into bed in the house on Bryant Street, I am amazed by how quickly time has passed. This past year has seen some good, some bad, and its fair share of sadness. While I spend a lot of my time looking to the exciting events in the future, I must pause and reflect on the shifts and happenings of this past year. Living here has changed parts of me, has made me appreciate what the East Coast does (and does not) offer, and has given me new friendships and experiences I would not have had otherwise. I'm proud to have made it to this milestone - as many of you know, and as older blog entries show, this move wasn't always the easiest for me. Life, of course, still has its ups and downs, but I made it a year as a stranger in a new city.

The second milestone is my birthday. 23! I know, so young, but for me it's an exciting age - through college, into "real life," with responsibilities and bills to pay and a desk in an office. Not necessarily what dreams are made of, but it's independence. I'm happy to leave 22 behind, honestly. I made it a year out of college, survived a move and managed to keep my job, but 23 will be better. Every year, probably, will always be better, but 23 has goals to keep, places to see, even more change. I don't know where it will take me, or where I'll be a year from now, but I think I'm okay with that. More than okay; I welcome it.

My last milestone comes next Monday - my 366th day at work. One year! I stuck it out, and will continue to stick it out for a little while yet. No major failures, enough successes, and a persistent alarm clock. I think that's the winning combination. Much of this milestone is similar to my 1-year-in-SF milestone, but I couldn't leave it ignored. A celebration will be in order, likely in the form of an enormous cup of coffee and a deliciously gooey breakfast pastry.

There we have it - a few happy accomplishments on the life calendar. And for those of you who I won't see on my birthday - I miss you! and I'm thinking about you, always.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Julia, I'm one of the people who won't see you on your birthday. Depending on how wasted you get, that could be something I'm upset or happy for. Either way, I'm glad you posted about milestones.

I happen to be one of those people whose anniversary was not recognized at the office :( At least I should have recognized it myself through benjamminspearsblog.blogspot.com :)

Good seeing you in Philly. That was the bomb!

Anna M said...

Yah!!!! I want your life! (including the later birthday...it just means you are THAT much younger..ugh).

Christina K said...

Julia,

I wish I could have been there for your birthday--the story in pictures show that you had a great time, and I'm glad. Happy Birthday!!

Congratulations on making it through this last year. Facing that year now and getting goosebumps from the job market make me appreciate just how much you've built and accomplished in one year--GO YOU!! I hope you enjoyed your pastry.

Love you and thinking of you,
Christina


Blogger Layouts by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by ArchitecturesDesign.Com Beautiful Architecture Homes