Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sogno Mio

Today I started my new job working for the local family I described in a previous post. I think they're going to be totally lovely and completely hilarious.

Sogno Mio is the name of their house, and it is mind-blowing. The entire place is filled with incredible art - mostly done by my boss - and relief sculptures and amazing light fixtures. The wonderful thing is that you never feel like you're in a museum; it's all homey and warm but at the same time bursting at the seams with beauty and creativity. Everything is represented - the slightly twisted, the dream-like, the modern, the classic, and it's hard not to be inspired by the imagination and process behind each work. I'm planning on being completely creepy and doing some photo posts showing the house a bit. I promise you've never seen light fixtures like these.

Meg, the mom, is refreshingly un-suburban and un-Stepford. Well, I guess that's obvious since she's an artist, but she's so quirky, and I adore her. Today when I complimented her on the house, she replied with:

"Oh, thank you! We really tried to make it artistic. So many people's houses around here look all the same, and even people who do something trendy are still all such fucking robots!"

She called my neighbors robots. I love her.

The kids are equally delightful. I spent the better part of my day playing disc golf with Daniel, who is 5 and replaces his "r" with a "w" and who told his entire class I was a "pwofessional ultimate fwisbee" player. I really didn't have the heart to correct him. He also is totally loving ultimate and the discs I brought them, and already knows that when we throw that the "alligator chomp" is the easiest way to catch.

After some disc indoctrinating (indisctrinating?) Nina (7, applied lip gloss to her forehead and cheeks in little half-moons) and Daniel did some tree climbing while I did some majorly paranoid hovering ready to catch any small child that might lose its footing. After getting thoroughly covered in bark chips and ensuring both kids wound up feet on the ground, it was time to call it a day. If this is what work is like for the next three months, you can count me as completely satisfied.

0 comments:


Blogger Layouts by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by ArchitecturesDesign.Com Beautiful Architecture Homes