Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Saying Goodbye with Food

The title really says it all. When people ask me what I want to do while I'm still in San Francisco my answer usually involves eating, be it trying a new restaurant or going to one of my favorites. I think it's fair to say that my relationship (yes, relationship) with food is completely altered now that I've lived out West. I care more about eating locally and sustainably, eat less meat, and eat more organics when possible. I've researched farmers' markets in Philly, and I've carefully perused the menus of my favorite restaurants, deciding on my order days - or weeks - before I actually go.

My last dinner in the city, fittingly, will be a burrito from El Farolito. There is nothing organic or sustainable about it, but it's what I've eaten on my first visit and my first day as a resident here in San Francisco. I know I'll be happy for real slices of pizza and cheesesteaks back East, but I know I'll miss the burritos. Chipotle might be good, but it's not the real thing.

Then there are the meals I had this past weekend in Tahoe with my book club. The best pesto ever (besto, and yes, Nicole, it really was the best), countless truffles, scrambled eggs, mounds of cheese, all washed down with plenty of wine. Then there's my last (sob) book club meeting tomorrow night, where I know there'll be even more cheese, wine, and snacks. It's safe to say book club has always been about eating, and talking, and eating, and talking....I'll miss the triple cream brie, but I think I'll miss the girls more.

The last few meals I have in my remaining week here will be decadent, to say the least. There's my last work lunch tomorrow at Plouf in Belden Lane (I'll have the roasted cod, please). Dinner on Friday is at Espetus - what was that I said about eating less meat? Then there's NOPA, my hands-down favorite (hello, bacon flatbread and roasted porkchop...again with the meat thing) on Monday. Wednesday morning I'll spend my last few hours in the city drinking coffee and eating eggs at Chloe's before I get back on a plane headed East.

So yes, I think it's safe to say I'm saying my goodbyes to this city with food, but not just food. It's my goodbyes to the people I enjoy this food (enjoy so, so much) with, because what doesn't say "goodbye, and I'll miss you" like burritos, hot cups of coffee, glasses of wine, hunks of cheese, and breakfast. Nothing.

0 comments:


Blogger Layouts by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by ArchitecturesDesign.Com Beautiful Architecture Homes