Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let's Get Physical

It's a terrible song, I know.

But here's something I've realized in the past week or so (big revelation turn-around): I am not someone who enjoys going to the gym.

This probably explains why I rarely went to the Hel-Wel when it was warm enough to play outside, and why it took a major breakthrough for me to sign up for my gym out here. I just really dislike being in a recycled air box that looks like Globo-Gym, surrounded by girls too concerned with their makeup and guys too concerned with their rippling (ha) muscles. I find that it takes a huge amount of effort to motivate myself to get on an elliptical for 45 minutes when I'd otherwise happily get outside and play ultimate, ride my bike, or just take a long walk.

So why am I not playing ultimate? There's a few reasons, but 2 major ones. The first is that I got to San Francisco too late into the club season to really weigh my different options. The second is that I wasn't in the financial position to be able to afford living a normal life and also play club, and that I also wasn't ready to make the time commitment. I was, and am, new to the city, and I wanted my weekends to explore my new surroundings and get comfortable in a completely different place. And disappointingly enough, San Francisco doesn't have any semblance of a real summer league like PADA or even WAFC. There's technically a league that plays in Golden Gate, but it's beginning-friendly, not even allowing zone for the first 5 weeks or so. One word: lame. I'm excited for winter league, and am faintly toying with the idea of playing club next year. If I don't do that, I'll also be more than content making Wildwood my yearly tournament come-back.

My real point though is that I like being outside and doing something that actually achieves a purpose that exceeds meeting a time or calories-burned goal. Yes, I like chasing after a piece of plastic for 8 hours straight, but 8 hours in a gym? Fat chance. After spending the last 5 weeks or so trying to be diligent about heading to work out after work, my enthusiasm is waning. It's time for me to get outside again, start doing yoga after a year hiatus, and maybe even throw every once in a while...living with Alex will hopefully help with that aspect.

One thing I will not do is hike for extended periods of time. Why? Because of a disastrous senior hike in high school that has still left me scarred to this day. I'll save that story for another day though.


Blogger Layouts by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by ArchitecturesDesign.Com Beautiful Architecture Homes